nth harmonic

nth harmonic
aligning at points along the way

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Time is ticking to Baby

We're expecting our first child in a few months, and while the original "shock and awe" has worn down, the subdued sense of panic and urgency is still there.  Everyone has said from the get-go that you won't have time for anything, and so very soon after we first learned about the baby my mind has been ticking about my to-do list.

One item that's been on my agenda was to do some wiring in my basement, or what my wife likes to call "the dungeon".  There aren't any sockets or lights down there (its a crawspace, fairly large but only about 4ft high).  Fiddling around with a flashlight is tedious, so I'd wanted to figure out a way to get some power in there.. either some sockets or lighting or whatever.  I started to get pumped up for my mini-project: electrical wiring!

In my mind I'm wondering, if I screw this up then could I create a fire-hazard? What if I overload the circuit?  Do I know what I'm getting into? There's tons of information online, and at HoDe by the way, so I read up and took it to task.  First step, finding an existing powerline, then from there make a socket, then a couple of switches.

The sense of accomplishment, the joy and the elation that comes from figuratively and literally turning on that switch is so illuminating.  Victory was mine! HA! Take that, home project - no outsourcing to an electrician this time.  I relished in the basking light of my new lights.

Next on the list: painting the baby room.

No comments:

Post a Comment