nth harmonic

nth harmonic
aligning at points along the way

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blast Off

This week marks an end of an era - the final space shuttle mission after around 30 yrs will happen July 8th.  Sniff sniff..

Every time I see that footage of the space shuttle taking off it takes my breath away. The raw power of the rockets, the speed of the acceleration - even the crisp aesthetics of the black and white shuttle.  Its unreal, to think that humans are being blasted into space, and after 135 missions that era will end.

To be sure, there will be a next generation of space travel, but THIS is the program that "launched" it, in my opinion.  When you step back, it is a bit extravagant - spending boatloads of money and burning up fuel just to send some people into the sky, for what?  My wife and I are on different sides of the coin here.. I am a space junkie, and she can't understand the fascination at all.

But the exhiliration! Imagine feeling the rumble and thrust of multiple g-forces as your world (literally) drifts away to the point where it seems insignificant.  I've read that viewing the earth from space triggers a sense of euphoria, utter calm and peace.  Talk about getting away from it all.

Its tragic that there have been casualties in the space missions, disastrous ones.  I remember as a kid watching on the news as the Challenger exploded upon ascent, and I called out to my mom.  Space flight continues to be a challenge and a desire - its exciting to see that Virgin Galactic is planning to start in 2012 its sub-orbital flights for people with tons of money (ticket prices start at $200k I believe, and they've sold over 400 so far).  The dream is still alive and thriving!

I am a space child, and I love to be spaced out.  In due time, in due time..
Blast on

No comments:

Post a Comment